Strani

torek, 21. junij 2016

Story of Volunteer for Rio Olympics

Main words: rio2016, volunteer, mystory, dreams

Since I was little boy, I dreamed about being part of the biggest sport event on the World. I remember waking up for Olympic events at 3 am, just to watch some Slovenian sportsman competing for medals and I was like 9 years old. When I spent 12 hours a day, watching Olympics from Beijing 2008, I decided I want to be there sometimes and the perfect choice was London 2012 - I just turned 19 then, it was close, I know the language... but I was scared, without any experience so I did not apply for volunteer there - even though I was determined that  I will be in Rio 2016 on first time ever SouthAmerican Olympic games.
When came the time for applying as a Volunteer for Rio in september 2014, I applied the very first day. Application was very long, so it took few hours to finish it the way I wanted, with all the good recommendations for myself, so I will be part of that. After that - waiting and waiting, we only had to play few online games and check our language skills, nothing serious. I was waiting for interview more than 1 year, but in October 2015 I finally recieved an email with invitation for interview. I thought it will be like job interview, so I prepared myself for everything. And then interview comes and we had online chat with operator from Rio and also 5 other applicants for volunteering there - nothing serious.
Then again waiting until the famous November 30th 2015, when they released first 50000 approved volunteers for Olympics - I was on this list and I was so happy, that I even make a party for my friends in dormitory in Warsaw, Poland (I was exchange student there). They said to us, that the deadline for Invitation Letter is in 2 weeks, then 2 months, then they had been saying soon all the time. I've sent few emails there and always same answer. Meanwhile, we had to do some online training, but still no letter. I was getting very nervous and what I saw on facebook, my fellow volunteers too.
No letter, no shift, nothing... Already in January 2016 I bought flight tickets, soon after I booked an accomodation, but letter still did not come. I was doing that without knowing, that I will recieve any letter, I only knew that everything will get more and more expensive.
At May 31st 2016 I recieve doubtful email from organizers, that they are not sure about me being volunteer there - my heart literally fell in my pants. There was a survey about our plans - WTF - I was approved more than half a year ago, you know my plans?!!
But few days ago (June 9th) I woke up, put my glasses on and saw an email from organizers with invitation letter - sudden relief, moment of joy and happiness. I have been telling to my friends, that I am going to work on Olympics, but until then I was not sure about it. Now it is official and all the anger, hate, swearing words are in the past.
Now there is nothing stopping me - people see you in Rio2016.
Simon Ranfl

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar